Saturday, April 28, 2007

Male Body Image

I never thought I'd have to worry about my waistline, buying new interview pants, hoping that I'd lose weight in the two-week customary grace period before starting a new job that would enable me to wear my existing slacks and jeans.

I grew up with heavyset aunts and female cousins. It was a given in my family that the women had the hips and thighs, while the men were beanpoles. None of the males I knew as a child were as robust as the females. The males in my family were preoccupied with physical activity, not the girls, significantly outnumbered by the boys.

I was able to shop in certain teen clothing departments well into young adulthood. The obvious advantage was saving money that I invested elsewhere. Several years have since passed, and I can no longer get away with Gap Kids for my fall wardrobe.

No comments: