Tuesday, July 22, 2014
Media Relations Intern
It is a fun and fast-paced environment that often requires same-day responses and 24-hour turnarounds.
The intern will build strong relationships with contacts at a variety of media outlets, and develop the know-how to build new relationships with journalists on behalf of clients. The intern will learn how to place news stories in the competitive media environment.
In addition you’ll also:
• be meticulously organized
• have strong writing and proofreading skills, knowing that the foundation of all good communications are the right words
• work in a focused manner whether working in a shared workspace, from home or the local coffee shop
• present yourself with the utmost professionalism when corresponding with clients, journalists, associates and vendors
As you gain experience in the industry, you’ll craft media pitches that articulate the clients core messages and unique brand. You will pursue all available opportunities to secure client coverage week in and week out.
• Collaborate with team members on ideation to develop news angle that fit the clients storylines and brand differentiators.
• Draft press releases and media materials for distribution, gather and organize complementary visuals and ensure that all the pieces of the story come together in an appealing package for journalists.
• Coordinate media relations with national, regional and local media.
• Apply your solid writing skills across many platforms, including client case studies and testimonials,newsletters, press releases and pitch letters.
• Learn client subject matter and assess daily news inquiries and cycles to identify opportunities to generate news coverage.
• Utilize social media know-how and the latest social media platforms to support and amplify clients’ social media campaigns as needed.
• Compile thorough, accurate results and activity reports for clients on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
Graduated from an accredited university within a relevant area of study (communications, public relations, marketing, journalism)
• 1-3 years experience in public relations with specific responsibilities for media relations and publicity
• Digital skills: Microsoft Office software, WordPress, social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+)
Please reply with cover letter, current resume and two contrasting public relations/marketing/media pitch writing samples: Media Relations Intern